The International Master in Sociology of Law of the International Institute of Sociology of Law (Video about the IISL Master's)
* A one-year programme (60 ECTS).
* Accredited by the UPV/EHU.
* Thirteen two- week courses from September to March (40 ECTS).
* Master's Thesis (Research Project) from April to September (20 ECTS).
* While the IISL is located in the Basque Country, the programme is taught entirely in English.
* The MA is both a recognised stand-alone qualification, and also accepted as a foundation for PhD research by universities all over the world.
* Double degree in Sociology of Law and in Sustainable Development (UNIVERSITY OF MILAN and UPV/EHU - Oñati IISL)
- Career Development and Mentoring. You will acquire the knowledge, skills and support needed to afford your transition to a new and rewarding professional career with confidence and determination.
- Well-established international reputation. The programme is in its 33th year, and previous graduates are now among the leading scholars and practitioners in sociology of law.
- Scholarships  are available. The IISJ is committed to supporting socio-legal scholars from all economic, cultural and disciplinary backgrounds, and we offer a limited number of scholarships to assist students who could not otherwise afford to study on the programme.
- You will be taught by leading international experts who travel specially to Oñati for the programme. The delivery of the programme is unique. Whereas other programmes are taught by in-house academic staff, our programme is taught by leading researchers in sociology of law from around the world .
- The programme covers the major substantive issues and debates concerning sociology of law, including theoretical perspectives as well as research methods.
- Small class size. Class numbers are limited to 15
- Quality of students. The Master's programme has an international reputation for attracting the highest quality of students from all around the world. A high proportion of our students continue onto PhD programmes.
- Diversity of students. Our students come from a wide range of cultural and disciplinary backgrounds. We accept students with good first degrees in law, sociology and other social sciences (eg geography, political science, economics, psychology, journalism, cultural studies, criminology, philosophy, and so on).
- Connection to the international community of socio-legal scholars (Oñati Community). The IISL is the home of the international socio-legal community. Scholars regularly visit Oñati to use our library, and we run a series of highly innovative workshops and conferences. Students have the opportunity to engage with leading researchers, participate in our other activites, and become part of this influential network. See what they say about the Institute and the programme (videos).
- Access to the best socio-legal library in the world. The IISL is home to a famous multi-language library and document centre. Researchers from around the world travel to Oñati specifically to use our library.
- PhD opportunities. Our graduates can also register directly into the PhD programmse in Sociology of Law at the University of the Basque Country. A high proportion of our graduates continue on to PhDs, and we provide support for applying for PhD funding.
- Publishing opportunities. Your Master's dissertation should be written in the format of a journal article, and part of the teaching programme focuses on the process of publication. Our best students are invited to submit their dissertations to our international journal of emergent socio-legal studies, Sortuz.
- The Basque Country. The IISL was first established as a collaboration between the Basque government and the RCSL. Oñati provides the perfect atmosphere and environment. You have the opportunity to live, learn and study in a beautiful and tranquil environment.