Sources of funding

If you cannot rely on your own or your family’s savings, a private sponsor or a study loan to finance your stay, you can try to find funding from other sources.

In many countries, the national government in charge of science and education may be the first address to consult about scholarships for their own citizens or residents to study abroad. Hence, please check the website of the Ministry of Education (or similar) of your home country!

In addition, in a number of countries there are private foundations, charity organisations, and other associations that may want to promote international mobility and education of students, often of the country they are based in and often limited to specific fields or disciplines.

At the same time, there may be also private companies based in your home countries that are be willing to promote studies abroad as part of their social responsibility and contribution to local communities.

Moreover, also think of professional organisations in your field of studies, and check their websites or contact their local representatives about possibilities to obtain scholarships or travel grants for doing a Master’s studies abroad.

There are also special programmes for refugees and scholars at risk, which may again depend on your nationality and field of specialisation.

Hence, you should start your research in your own home country or based on your specific background before considering options in your prospective host country, which often also have nationality or residence requirements.

However, on this page we also list a number of options in Spain and the Basque Country, which you can explore to check your eligibility and whether there are any calls that are open at the time of your application or during your studies.