The International Master in Sociology of Law of the International Institute of Sociology of Law.
* A one-year programme (60 ECTS)
* Accredited by the UPV/EHU
* Thirteen two- week courses from September to March (40 ECTS)
* Master's Thesis (Research Project) from April to September (20 ECTS)
* While the IISJ is located in the Basque Country, the programme is taught entirely in English
* The MA is both a recognised stand-alone qualification, and also accepted as a foundation for PhD research by universities all over the world.
- Well-established international reputation. The programme is in its 27th year, and previous graduates are now among the leading scholars and practitioners in sociology of law.
- Scholarships are available. The IISJ is committed to supporting socio-legal scholars from all economic, cultural and disciplinary backgrounds, and we offer a limited number of scholarships to assist students who could not otherwise afford to study on the programme.
- You will be taught by leading international experts who travel specially to Oñati for the programme. The delivery of the programme is unique. Whereas other programmes are taught by in-house academic staff, our programme is taught by leading researchers in sociology of law from around the world .
- The programme covers the major substantive issues and debates concerning sociology of law, including theoretical perspectives as well as research methods.
- Small class size. Class numbers are limited to 20
- Quality of students. The Master's programme has an international reputation for attracting the highest quality of students from all around the world. A high proportion of our students continue onto PhD programmes.
- Diversity of students. Our students come from a wide range of cultural and disciplinary backgrounds. We accept students with good first degrees in law, sociology and other social sciences (eg geography, political science, economics, psychology, journalism, cultural studies, criminology, philosophy, and so on).
- Connection to the international community of socio-legal scholars. The IISJ is the home of the international socio-legal community. Scholars regularly visit Oñati to use our library, we run a series of highly innovative workshops and conferences, and host the World Consortium of Law and Society associations. Students have the opportunity to engage with leading researchers, participate in our other activites, and become part of this influential network.
- Access to the best socio-legal library in the world. The IISJ is home to a famous multi-language library and document centre. Researchers from around the world travel to Oñati specifically to use our library.
- PhD opportunities. Our graduates can also register directly into the PhD programmse in Sociology of Law at the University of the Basque Country. A high proportion of our graduates continue on to PhDs, and we provide support for applying for PhD funding.
- Publishing opportunities. Your Master's dissertation should be written in the format of a journal article, and part of the teaching programme focuses on the process of publication. Our best students are invited to submit their dissertations to our own international peer-reviewed journal
- The Basque Country. The IISJ was first established as a collaboration between the Basque government and the RCSL. Oñati provides the perfect atmosphere and environment. You have the opportunity to live, learn and study in a beautiful and tranquil environment.